May 2021 IKA event update
May 2021 IKA event update
by International Kiteboarding Association May 03 07:50 PDT
KiteFoil World Series 2019 – Day 4 Â© Martina Orsini
With the relaxation of travel restrictions and the rapid progression of mass vaccination, the first international kitesurfing events will begin as planned from July.
The notices of race for the first act of the KiteFoil World Series and the Formula Kite U19 & A Youth Foil World Championships, both held at the famous Hang Loose Beach in Gizzeria, Italy, have been released.
A total of seven events are planned for the 2021 edition of the KiteFoil World Series, the first professional kitesurf racing tour. Almost all events are confirmed – the event in China with a prize of EUR 50,000 equally split between men and women will be taken a closer look over time, but with the Asian Youth Games also scheduled in China from two days later it is certain that the event will go as planned.
The 2021 Pan American Championship, tentatively scheduled for August 17-22, is a new event for the Olympic kite class. If this event is confirmed, then the World Series event in San Francisco may be moved from August 13 to 15 to allow competitors three competitions in a row in the Americas, ending with the KiteFoil World Series event in Fortaleza from August 26 to 29. 2021
Class event schedules have been updated as follows, the latest information can still be found on each class’s websites and across the set IKA Events Calendar.
- U19 Individual World Championship: July 19 – July 25, 2021, Gizzeria (ITA)
- Pan American Individual and Mixed Team Relay Championships: August 17 – August 22, 2021, Cabarete (DOM)
- World Individual Championships – to be confirmed
- Individual European Championship: September 06 – September 12, 2021, Montpellier (FRA)
- Mixed Team Relay World Championship: October 11 – October 17, 2021, Torregrande (ITA)
- U19 Mixed Team Relay World Championship: December 11 – December 18, 2021, location to be confirmed
Important note: the rescheduled Trofeo Princesa Sofia in Palma overlaps the World Series event in Cagliari.
- World Championship: July 19 – July 25, 2021, Gizzeria (ITA)
- European Championship: September 06 – September 12, 2021, Montpellier (FRA)
- Act 1: July 14 – July 18, 2021, Gizzeria (ITA) – 3 stars
- Act 2: July 29 – August 01, 2021, San Francisco (USA) – 1 star – to be confirmed
- Act 3: August 12 – August 15, 2021, Fortaleza (BRA) – 2 stars
- Act 4: September 15 – September 19, 2021, Traunsee (AUT) – 3 stars
- Act 5: 06 October – 10 October 2021, Cagliari (ITA) – 4 stars
- Act 6: November 17 – November 21, 2021, Zhuhai (CHN) – 5 stars – to be confirmed
- Act 7: November 24 – November 28, 2021, Gran Canaria (ESP) – 4 stars
Important note: the rescheduled Trofeo Princesa Sofia in Palma overlaps the 4-Star World Series event in Cagliari.
The winner of the KiteFoil World Series is crowned World Champion of the IKA KiteFoil Open class. The six best results of each competitor count for the general classification.
All events remain subject to the development of the global COVID-19 pandemic. Competitors and teams are advised not to make travel arrangements before the publication of the notice of race and the opening of registrations for individual events.