Chicago Hispanic Newspaper, Lawndale News, Hispanic Bilingual Newspapers, Bilingual Su Noticiero »Lakeside Beaches Return for Season
The city of Chicago and the Chicago Park District announced Wednesday that 22 beaches will open this Friday, May 28 for the 2021 season. The return of the beach season is another step forward with Open Chicago, the mayor’s initiative to fully reopen and safe the city. This Friday will mark the first opening of Chicago’s beaches to the public since September 2, 2019, due to COVID-19 health and safety precautions. The 2021 beach season ends Monday, September 6, 2021. Juneway, Roger, Howard and Fargo beaches remain closed to the public due to high lake levels and erosion. Guests are kindly requested to adhere to the following beach rules:
• Obey lifeguards and swim only when lifeguards are present.
• No drinks, alcohol or smoking on the beach.
• Dispose of food, diapers and other waste properly. Do not feed the birds. Dogs are only allowed in areas reserved for dogs.
• Please put bath diapers on small children.
• Broiling is only permitted in designated areas and coals should be thrown into red-hot metal containers.
• Keep accessible boardwalks on the beach clear. Cycling, skateboarding or roller skating are not permitted in these areas.
• Access to the Lake Michigan Water Trail for sports such as kayaking, canoeing, and other non-motorized board or paddleboard sports is permitted at 12th Street Beach. For more information, head over to the rules page and download information about the Lake Michigan water trails.
• Kitesurfing is not permitted at 12th Street Beach; kitesurfing is ONLY allowed at Montrose Beach.
• Swimming is permitted and lifeguards are on duty on all beaches from 11 am to 7 pm, unless otherwise specified.
Admission to Chicago beaches is free. For a list of locations or for more information, visit the Park District website at chicagoparkdistrict.com or call the Beaches and Pools Unit at 773-363-2225.